If your operation includes a Plant Sale, Tend can help you create, track, and manage your plant sale plantings.
A key part of having a plant sale as part of your operation is being able to plan the production of your sale plantings separately from your standard plantings. Tend assists with that by having a toggle function that clearly updates the display of a planting as being part of a plant sale. A plant sale planting will appear with slightly fewer detail options so that only the relevant details are part of the planning process. For example, you'll see that it is no longer an option to input in-row spacing details or the number of rows per bed for the planting. The planting amount field is also updated to enable you to input a number of plants or a number of particular flat or pot types as the planting amounting.
Adding a plant sale planting to your Crop Plan
To create a planting for a plant sale, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Crop Plan Feature
2. Click on the "Add Plantings" option
3. Select "New Planting"
4. Select your desired crop and/or variety
5. When the Planting Details Screen appears, toggle on the "For Plant Sale?" option on the screen header. Green indicates that your planting will now be entered as a plant sale planting.
6. Indicate the number of plants, flats, trays, or pots of your variety you'd like to add.
7. Fill out the remainder of your planting details as you would with any other planting in Tend, and click the blue "Create" button at the bottom of the planting details screen to add your plant sale planting to your Crop Plan.
Tend Tip: As you fill out your planting details, note that your planting amount options have been updated to the number of plants, flats, trays, or pots you want to sow of your plantings. Similarly, your key planting dates have been updated to only include your greenhouse sowing date and a 'first sale' date, so you have the right options and information at your fingertips for detailed plant sale planning.
Changing existing planting into plant sale plantings
To update existing plantings to become plant sale plantings, click on the existing planting you want to change, and follow the steps below:
- When the plant details screen opens, toggle the "For plant sale?" button
- Ensure the planting amount reflects the number of plants or flats you'd like to sell
- Review that the first sales date is in line with your selling date
Finally, click "Save" at the bottom of the planting details screen.
Viewing Your Plant Sale Production Plan
Once you've created your plant sale plantings, you'll be able to view them in a separate production plan to help you stay organized and on schedule in the greenhouse.
To View your plant sale production plan:
1. Navigate to the Crop Plan Feature
2. Select either the All Plantings or Greenhouse Plantings View option (plant sale plantings will not appear in the Locations View of the Crop Plan).
3. Sort your view to display "Only Plant Sale" plantings
A few notes about plant sale plantings:
- You'll notice that once the plant sale toggle is on you can no longer edit the growing cycle, planting method, or harvest stage. If you wish to not grow the planting for a plant sale simply click the toggle to turn off the feature.
- Plant sale plantings won't appear in the Crop distribution report:
- 'Plant Sale' plantings are unable to be converted to a bed ft. or row ft. units because they are not transplanted into a field.
- If there are other steps or tasks you consistently take to produce plant sale plantings, we suggest creating a task template and linking those tasks to your sowing or sales (this would be the first harvest date) date.